With the rising workplace fatalities, it is important for construction companies to constantly adapt and improve their safety standards to keep workers and worksite safe.
However recently, in May 2022, WSH Council and industry associations urged companies to conduct a Safety Time-Out to address the spate of fatalities.
Here are 7 ways to improve workplace safety:
1. Management has to ensure that they have effective WSH management systems, including constant review on risk assessment, ensuring all their workers implement risk control measures.
2. Management has to ensure that workers have undergone relevant WSH training to their respective job roles.
3. Site Managers have to conduct daily toolbox meeting to provide clear work role of each worker as well as the potential hazards and control measures before they start work.
4. Site Supervisors have to ensure that daily housekeeping is performed to keep workplace clean and tidy.
5. Workers have to wear personal protective equipments (PPE), such as safety helmets, safety shoes at all times.
6. Workers have to ask site supervisor if they are in doubt before carrying out the work activities.
7. Conduct regular trainings to workers to have a STAR before each work activity.
S - STOP
T - THINK
A - ACT
R - REVIEW
LET'S ALL DO OUR PART AND ENSURE SAFETY.
SAFETY BUILDS TRUST.
ACCIDENT DESTROYS IT.